National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness DayFebruary 23, 2011 | Tags: AIDS, awareness, Deborah Cox, Facebook, girls, HIV, Internet, Maria Davis, myspace, red pump project, social media, statistics, Twitter, united states, women
HIV/AIDS Activist Maria Davis for Lifebeat on National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2011
National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NWGHAAD) is March 10. All too often women are powerless when it comes to negotiating sex, hence the rise in HIV across the world and in the United States. Lifebeat encourages women and girls to stand up for their sexual health, their rights and their lives. With the support of record labels, sites and blogs we’ll build a strong message of support for women and raising awareness of HIV/AIDS.
It is estimated almost 280,000 women in the United States are living with HIV/AIDS. There are two primary routes of infection; heterosexual sex (72%) and intravenous – or IV – drug use (26%). Women and girls have to protect themselves by demanding a condom is used every time they have sex.
The only way for women to defeat HIV is to take charge of their sexual health.
You’ve heard what HIV/AIDS activist, and music promoter Maria Davis has to say, now listen to recording artist Deborah Cox. Click below to hear Deborah’s audio PSA urging you to get involved in raising awareness of HIV/AIDS.
Deborah Cox Fights HIV/AIDS with Lifebeat
Join Lifebeat, our friends and family in the fight against HIV/AIDS by infecting the Internet with awareness. Below you’ll find a few messages that can be adapted for use on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace or any other social media platform.
- PLS RT Women are not dolls, don’t play with our lives. Today is National Women & Girls HIV Awareness Day. http://on.fb.me/Lifebeat #beathiv
- Every 35 min a woman tests positive for HIV in the US. Today is National Women & Girls HIV Awareness Day. http://on.fb.me/Lifebeat #beathiv
- PLS RT Join @Lifebeat in the fight against HIV. Spread awareness, not HIV. #nwghaad #beathiv
- PLS RT Ladies, don’t get caught out there. Get tested. Practice safer sex. #nwghaad #beathiv
- PLS RT Be one less notch on HIV’s bed post. Always practice safer sex! #nwghaad #beathiv
- PLS RT Love you first! Always practice safer sex. Use a condom every time. #nwghaad #beathiv
- PLS RT Men and boys, support your women and girls. Always practice safer sex! #nwghaad #beathiv
- PLS RT Did you know 72% of all HIV infections in women were caused by heterosexual sex? #nwghaad #beathiv
- PLS RT Every 9.5 minutes someone in the United States is infected with HIV. Always practice safer sex. #nwghaad #beathiv
- PLS RT 1 in 4 teen girls has an STD. Safer sex is always best. #nwghaad #beathiv
Lifebeat proudly displays the Rock the Red Pump banner to encourage women across the nation to wear red pumps in support of NWGHAAD.