When is the right time for me to get an HIV or STD test?
The CDC recommends that all Americans receive routine HIV testing as part of regular preventative health.
Anyone who is participating, or has participated in behaviors that increase your chances of getting HIV should be tested for HIV. If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you should definitely get an HIV test:
- Have you had unprotected vaginal, anal, or oral sex with anonymous partners, multiple partners, or men who have sex with men?
- Have you injected drugs or steroids or shared works (such as needles or syringes) with others?
- Have you exchanged sex for drugs or money?
- Have you had sex under the influence of sex or drugs?
- Have you been diagnosed with or treated for hepatitis, tuberculosis (TB) or a sexually transmitted disease (STD) like syphilis?
- Have you had unprotected sex with someone who could answer yes to any of the above questions?